Session Time: 6:00pm-7:00pm
Presentation Time: 6:00pm-7:00pm
Location: Hall 4EF
Background: Donor and recipient age mismatch kidney transplantation are known to affect graft survival. We examined the impact of age mismatching on graft survival after living donor kidney transplantation.
Methods: We analyzed the UNOS database for living donor transplants for donors above the age of 60 who donated between Jan 2000 thru Jun 2015. Out of a total of 95,439 living donors, 4,836 donors => 60 (5.06%) were identified. Recipients above the age of 75 (1.1% of cohort were excluded from the analysis.
Results : Out of a total of 4,702 transplants, donors > 60 yr, 72.8% were +/- 15yr age mismatched (Grp1); remaining 27.2% were > 15 yr age mismatched (Grp2) with their recipients.
There was no difference in mean age of donors between the two groups (p=0.689). Mean mismatch in age was 0.97+/-5.3 yrs in Grp1 vs 26.2+/-6.5 yrs in Grp2 (p<0.005).
|Variable||Grp1 (Age MM +/-15 yrs)||Grp2 (Age MM > 15 yrs)||p-Value|
|Donor Gender (M %)||67.9||32.1||0.005|
|Donor HTN (%)||8.7||8.2||0.72|
|Serum Dc Creatinine (mg/dl)||1.9+/-1.3||2.1+/-1.5||0.005|
|Waitlist Time (days)||344+/-395||325+/-383||0.108|
|Mean HLA Mismatch||3.78+/-1.7||2.91+/-1.2||0.005|
|Recipient Gender (M%)||62.4||57.0||0.001|
|Recipient DM (%)||38.5||21.5||0.005|
|Recipient Race AA (%)||6.1||7.0||0.26|
|Recipient on Dialysis (%)||41.2||44.1||0.07|
|Recipient 1yr Acute Rejection (%)||8.2||10.9||0.005|
Conclusions: Recipient factors affect overall graft survival, however large age mismatch affects death censored graft survival. These should be taken into account when selecting older donors for directed versus paired donation candidates.
CITATION INFORMATION: Adebiyi O., Riaz A., Yaqub M., Mishler D., Taber T., Sharfuddin A. Recipient Outcomes in Age Mismatched Living Kidney Transplants from Donors > 60 Years: A UNOS Database Analysis Am J Transplant. 2017;17 (suppl 3).
To cite this abstract in AMA style:Adebiyi O, Riaz A, Yaqub M, Mishler D, Taber T, Sharfuddin A. Recipient Outcomes in Age Mismatched Living Kidney Transplants from Donors > 60 Years: A UNOS Database Analysis [abstract]. https://atcmeetingabstracts.com/abstract/recipient-outcomes-in-age-mismatched-living-kidney-transplants-from-donors-60-years-a-unos-database-analysis/. Accessed December 13, 2019.
« Back to 2018 American Transplant Congress