Session Time: 5:30pm-6:30pm
Presentation Time: 5:30pm-6:30pm
Location: Exhibit Hall E
Background. ABO incompatible kidney transplantation (ABO-I KTx) is nowadays a well-established procedure to expand living donor source. Graft and patient survivals of ABO-I KTx were demonstrated to be similar to those in ABO-compatible (ABO-C) KTx. However, detailed histological findings with protocol biopsy (PB) have not been demonstrated.
Methods. We reviewed 401 living donor KTx including 276 ABO-C and 125 ABO-I KTx performed in Kyushu University Hospital from July 2008 through November 2013. During this period, PB policy was uniform, and it was performed at 3-month and 1-year. We compared detailed PB findings, and the incidence of biopsy proven acute rejection (BPAR) and polyomavirus BK nephropathy (BKVN) using both protocol and indication biopsies between ABO-C and ABO-I KTx.
Results. The 3-month and 1-year PB were performed in 86.2% and 78.6% of the studied patients. The incidence of subclinical acute rejection defined as Banff grade Ia or higher and/or antibody-mediated rejection were found in 8.6% in ABO-C group and 7.1% in ABO-I group at 3-month (p=0.68), and 12.1% and 10.9% at 1-year (p=0.85). Cumulative incidence of BPAR were 23.0% and 17.6%, respectively (p=0.24). The degree of glomerulitis, peritubular capillaritis, interstitial fibrosis/tubular atrophy were not also different between two groups. BKVN was found in 7 patients in ABO-C group and 4 in ABO-I group (p=0.75).
Conclusions. The histological analysis with fixed PB policy at 3-month and 1-year suggested comparable allograft pathology between ABO-C and ABO-I KTx.
To cite this abstract in AMA style:Masutani K, Tsuchimoto A, Matsukuma Y, Kurihara K, Okabe Y, Kitada H, Tanaka M, Kitazono T, Tsuruya K. Histological Analysis in ABO-Compatible and Incompatible Kidney Transplantation By Performing 3-Month and 1-Year Protocol Biopsies [abstract]. Am J Transplant. 2015; 15 (suppl 3). https://atcmeetingabstracts.com/abstract/histological-analysis-in-abo-compatible-and-incompatible-kidney-transplantation-by-performing-3-month-and-1-year-protocol-biopsies/. Accessed June 15, 2021.
« Back to 2015 American Transplant Congress